Saturday, June 21, 2014

After 12+ hours of sleep

Wow. Okay. First post in a little bit. I have a legitimate excuse, though. Several, actually. As pretty as the Wyoming/Montana scenery is, it doesn't seem to like service much. Or internet. Or anything at all. No service, zero bars, zero 4G. So keeping contact had not been as easy as we would like.
Yesterday, though, we passed into South Dakota and stumbled upon real internet access. Incredible. 
In addition to our lack of service, I got surgery on my foot! Not exciting surgery, mind you, just doctors ruthlessly ripping my toenail out, which hurts a hell of a lot more than one would expect. 
I've had an infected toe for probably more than a year and a half and I've tried and failed at sucking it up. At length, I agreed to go to a doctor in Gillette, WY. They ripped the toenail out (I was totally stoic, though) and yup. I've been sleeping most of the time since then. I did, however, walk a couple blocks at Deadwood, SD. With shoes on. Quite an achievement. Once we got to Mt. Rushmore, however, I was exhausted and opted to wheel around in a chair. It was humiliating and earned a lot of staring. 
At one point, we were going through one of those automagic doors and halfway through it closed. On me. The door closed on me and I was stuck. A lady came to my rescue and opened the door to let me through, which was heroic despite her laughing. 
After a few hours of humiliation at Rushmore, we headed for the Econolodge (which is surprisingly nice) in Custer, SD. 
I fell dead asleep almost instantly, and stayed that way until about 11:00 this morning. 
So. Yup. That's all the latest news. My toe hurts, but it's not so bad anymore. Hopefully I'll get some photos up soon. (They're pretty gory). 

The Problem . . .
The Solution


The Side Effects
The Result

The Recuperation

No comments:

Post a Comment